District Calendars & Bus Info
See below for the districtwide school calendar, activities calendar, and bus route information. Also included are notable calendar dates and inclement weather information.
North County School District Activities Calendar
Notable Calendar Dates
**Dates/times subject to change.**
2020-2021 School Year
March 31: End of 3rd Quarter
April 1 - April 5: Spring Break (NO SCHOOL)
May 27: End of 4th Quarter / Last Day of School
Report Card Dates for the remainder of the 2020-2021 school year:
2021-2022 School Year
Inclement Weather Information
INCLEMENT WEATHER INFORMATION
Our district staff understands that our decision to open or close schools in bad weather has a big impact on families. We also understand that our students are better served-both academically and socially-by being in school. But as always, our top priority is the safety of our students.
HOW DO WE MAKE OUR DECISIONS?
Please understand that we make our decision to open or close school in bad weather based on a careful analysis of all relevant factors, such as:
• Information on road conditions from transportation staff and other pertinent officials. We must give careful consideration to the most dangerous roads in the district. Even if your street looks clear, travel elsewhere in the district may be dangerous. Also, some of our High School students drive to school.
• Amount of snow and ice accumulated.
• Whether precipitation is continuing.
• Building conditions (such as whether or not we have electricity and heat.)
• Parking lot conditions. Administrators talk to maintenance and custodial staff members who are responsible for clearing and treating school parking lots and sidewalks.
• Temperature and wind chill. Please remember that some of our students walk to school and some must wait outside for the bus.
• Weather Predictions. We prefer not making decisions solely based on weather predictions because they are not always accurate. However, it may be necessary on some occasions.
• What other school districts are doing. We also share information with other local districts and check whether they are planning to open or close school.
WHO MAKES THE DECISION?
As Superintendent of Schools, I am responsible for the final decision, based on the factors listed above and with the recommendation of the Director of Transportation.
HOW IS THE PUBLIC NOTIFIED?
First and foremost, we notify our parents and students using our Blackboard Connect notification system and posting on our district Facebook Page. The Blackboard Connect notification system calls phone numbers that pull from our Student Information System. Please make sure you have current phone numbers on file with the office that your student attends.
Closings are given to a number of Radio and TV stations: Tune to...
KTJJ (F.M. 98.5)
KFMO (A.M. 1240)
B104 (F.M. 104)
Dockins (F.M. 95.9)
WHEN IS THE DECISION MADE?
The decision is normally made by 6:00 am or earlier so we can notify the local media. Every effort is made to announce a closing as quickly as possible knowing some parents will have already left for work, leaving their students unsupervised. The most difficult decisions to make are those when sleet or freezing rain occur after the buses have left for their morning routes. The district uses two way radios to communicate with our bus drivers. The bus drivers help notify us of deteriorating conditions.
WHAT IF WE CLOSE SCHOOL EARLY?
If we close early, please make sure your phone and contact information is correct. Also, make sure the names of contacts (those who can pick up your student) are up to date. We will notify all of the media listed above regarding early dismissal.
Although we do our absolute best in this process, we know that often no perfect decision exists. If you do not feel as though it is safe for your student to attend school because of inclement weather, use your best judgment on whether or not to send them. Also, please discourage teenagers from driving in poor weather conditions and offer them alternatives if the weather changes for the worse.
Hopefully, this explanation helps everyone understand the process that our district uses to make the best possible decision for the safety of all our students and staff.
Dr. Jeff Levy, Superintendent
North County R-I School District